Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pumpkin pin cushion

I have been busily sewing for my "Quilts in the Pumpkin Patch" blog hop coming up on Sept. 19th.  I reached over for a straight pin and this is what I saw.  (Sorry it's out of focus, but you get the idea.)  I thought to myself, "surely, I should make myself a cute pin cushion!"  So all other projects in progress came to a grinding halt!



I looked around for something cute I could make a pin cushion from.

Then I saw these leaf shaped pieces which I've kept even though I couldn't think what to do with them.  A thought started formulating in my brain.

(The leaf shapes were cut from these blocks which then I subsequently sewed  bigger colorful half leaf shapes in.  This would be another good project to finish since it's almost fall again. )




Have you seen these beautiful hand blown pumpkins?  My neighbor had bought a beautiful orange hand blown pumpkin right from the artist herself.   I wanted an orange one too, but had to think about it a lot because they were very expensive.  Finally, I went to the artist's home, but it was late in the season and so there weren't too many left to choose from.   I got this green one and have dearly loved it ever since.  It's even prettier in person.  (I got the orange one later on from Michael's or somewhere, and it's pretty too but not quite as delicate and lovely.)
So I took 8 of those leaf shapes and sewed them together and added a stem and then filled it with some scrap batting and some rice.  I added an orange bow and stuck in some pins.  Then I thought, "this really fits in with my current sewing and I printed out my Quilts in the Pumpkin patch button and pinned it on!"  I'm so glad to have a cute pin cushion!  AND I'm so glad I didn't throw those leaf shapes away!  (Being frugal sometimes pays off if you can just keep all that stuff organized and somewhere where you can find it when you want it.)

2 comments:

legato1958 said...

I do love it when you can use something that you could've just thrown away. It looks very cute!
I will have to give this a try, too!

Susie

legato1958 said...

I do love it when you can use something that you could've just thrown away. It looks very cute!
I will have to give this a try, too!

Susie

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...