Saturday, January 24, 2015

The Quilt Doodle Block of the Month for 2014 Blog Hop

Last week I blogged about my first completed quilt for 2015, which is my Quilt Doodle Block of the month quilt.  I had a lot of fun making this quilt month by month last year and really appreciate Cindy's (of Quilt Doodle Designs) talent and generosity in sharing her tutorials and hosting the quilt along!  Don''t leave yet if you've seen it already, because I have something special to show you!

But I forgot about saving it for the Blog Hop.
Since I had started two for this quilt along, I decided to try and complete the second one for something new to show for the Hop!

So I sewed the little tree on Monday.

Then I worked for a few days and finished up the row of hot cocoa cups.
And as I sewed I pondered what to do to make this quilt a little different.  It's already a little different because it's made with mostly batik fabric and the little houses are totally different.

But still, I wanted to do something else different.  Since I made this reindeer pillow in November, I've been wanting to make a Santa and flying reindeer.
On Wednesday, I got out some graph paper and started planning.
I doodled a reindeer and sleigh.
On Thursday I made the first reindeer prototype and was pleased.
 Today, actually yesterday since it's past midnight at this point...
I cut out all sorts of little pieces and started sewing....
I made 3 more reindeer and a Santa on a full moon...
I wanted the reindeer to look like they are flying, so sewed borders to get this effect.  Unfortunately, I ran out of fabric and so each side has a bit of patchwork.

Here you can sort of see the zig zagged reins that Santa is using to guide the reindeer.


At this point I had to call it quits for now.  I have a puppy who will wake me up at six a.m.  And so I am happy I was able to get a lot accomplished, even though I didn't get it finished.  You can't see, but the row of hockey skates is sewn to the bottom of the snowmen and of course, those poor snowmen are blind but hoping to get them some eyes soon!
Be sure to stop by and see many wonderful Quilt Doodle Block of the Month Quilts by other participants.  Here's the schedule:
January 24th 
January 25th 
January 26th
Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts.
Thanks for stopping by!

19 comments:

Turid said...

I love this project, and I'm always tempted to try one. But this year I've decided to finish some UFOs first.

Kathy S. said...

Love your reindeer and Santa. Very creative. Beautiful batiks!

Dee D said...

I love the Santa and reindeer- what a great addition! You have truly made this your own. Great job on your first quilt too.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your first quilt is beautiful. And you made a second! Love the santa and reindeer.

Quilt Doodle Designs said...

Beautiful quilt, love the reindeer pillow. Thank you for sharing!

Joanna said...

Both versions look terrific. I love the light blue house and the little tree in the window of the first version. The pillow is sweet. Lovely stuff.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wow you are doing 2 that is fabulous and they are each so different. Love your santa and reindeer.

Mari said...

Both your quilts are beautiful! I love the Santa and reindeer row! And that batik background fabric is just darling. Nice work!

LA Paylor said...

I can't believe you!!! Two?!
The santa reingdeer combo is AWESOME! I adore it! The batiks so good with this. Truly such a great job! Very inspirational.
LeeAnna at not afraid of color

MartiDIY said...

I love your Santa and Reindeer! Very creative and I bet took a lot of time too. But it really made the quilt too.

carla said...

Hi!!!! Wow!!! Wow!!!! Love your deer and santa sleigh!!!! Too cute!!!! Love both of your quilts!!!

Anonymous said...

Your Santa and reindeer are a wonderful touch to your quilt! It's been fun looking at all the quilts and seeing something different in each one.

legato1958 said...

I LOVE your Santa and reindeer addition to the quilt! You clever girl!! You simply whip out your graph paper and draw up new patterns! And, I actually like the scraps at the ends of the row... maybe they are "clouds" that Santa and his reindeer have to ride through!
This will be gorgeous! What a great idea!!
Susie

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here:
Really nice. I love how yours turned out. Such a happy quilt. I love everything about it. Thanks for sharing your process

Jill said...

I am in awe of your creativity and talent! Both quilts are great, and your reindeer pillow is adorable!

Jill said...

I am in awe of your creativity and talent! Both quilts are great, and your reindeer pillow is adorable!

Rebecca said...

Love the way you placed the santa in the moon!!!! Its so much fun seeing how everyone made the same quilt "NOT"

Karen H said...

Wow, this is amazing! Nice job!

Julie @ The Crafty Quilter said...

I LOVE what you added to your design, Sheri! It looks perfect and the sleigh over the moon is a great idea!

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...