Saturday, January 22, 2022

Timeless Treasure Tuscan Poppies Sunset Panel Quilt

 

My first finish of 2022.  I actually ordered three panels which came in a continuous cut, so I was able to cut my sections a little wider.  The sunset looks like a very hot day which is in contrast to the bit of snow you can see in the photo.

I'm so happy the Tuscan Poppy quilt is complete.

The 3D poppies are made like 3D pinwheels except you fold back the top edge of each section to round the petal and also the inside corner just a little so you can see the black center. I sewed some beads inside the poppies to imitate real poppy centers.  Most of the poppies I made with 3 petals and then a green folded square to make the part that attaches to the stem.


It was a lot of appliqué which is not my favorite, but I love how it turned out and it's even prettier in real life.


Buffalo plaid flannel backing.  I washed the quilt and the red ran onto the back but luckily found some quilter advice and soaked in dawn dishwashing liquid (only briefly) and then washed with color catchers and as you can see, no red or pink left!  Not sure if the Dawn helped or not.  I'll send the rest of the box to my cousin for when she washes it.

6 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, your poppies really pop, great 3D effect! It's a lovely and warm quilt, well done!
Thank you for sharing this beauty, and linking up ;)

Kim said...

Wow, your Tuscan Poppies are stunning! The 3D poppies add beautiful interest. How cool it looks against the wintry wonderland backdrop. A most amazing finish!

Vicki in MN said...

Poppies is just beautiful!! Sorry you had to deal with the bleed, but sounds like you had a nice fix for it.

The Joyful Quilter said...

You transformed that pretty panel into a gorgeous quilt!!

Anonymous said...

Blooming beautiful!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is really pretty - the colors are just so vivid!!

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...