Saturday, July 20, 2013

Winter Wonderland Table topper and mini snowman wall hanging CompleteI


Add caption

I tried the blanket stitch for his nose but didn't work out so well so started over and fused it on.  I also tried knitting him a tiny scarf but my yarn was that boucle and it was so bulky even with only 3 stitches that I ended up just pinking a piece of the border fabric for his scarf and I'm happy with how he turned out.

I used the pillow case method to finish the edges (refer to the zig zag table runner on the Missouri Star Quilt Co. for a wonderful tutorial on the pillow case method).   I like the pillow case method for irregular shapes or scalloped borders because it lays nicely and it's quicker (no need to make binding).  I free motion quilted a cute design but the fabrics are so busy it barely shows up so I'll show you the back.

The holly leaves and berries turned out pretty good after a rough start and having to pick a leaf and berries stitches.  (I get in a hurry and don't want to practice first.)

I saw this Christmas tree design on the Ivory Spring blog.  She has a lot of good tutorials for free motion quilting.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the snowman and you did a terrific job on the Christmas tree quilting.

legato1958 said...

Your table topper and snowman are really pretty!!
Love that you tried to knit him a little scarf!! :)

Susie

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...