Saturday, February 21, 2015

Organizing scraps and Kaleidoscope blocks

I got in the mood to chop up scraps into neat and organized squares.

After a number of hours, I went to my Pinterest page to look for ideas for using my nicely stacked squares.
  That's when I noticed the scrappy kaleidoscope quilts.  The bigger scraps would be perfect for this!
 I found a free template and printed it out and started cutting.

You end up sewing 4 into a half circle and then sew those two together, and then add the corner triangles (white ones go on the colored triangles or colored for the white triangles) to get the block.  It's just one block!

At the end of the day, I had made 9 blocks  -- 
Can you see the secondary circular pattern emerging?  (I did sew one wrong--do you see the mistake?)
I did see a simple 4 patch which alternates with a white square that I'm planning to work on soon too!

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts and A Quilting Life

5 comments:

legato1958 said...

How pretty for your scraps!! Can't wait to see it after it has the Sheri Touch!!
Susie

Patty said...

I sure don't find the one you sewed wrong. Love the idea of using up the scraps. It is really cute. I have wanted to do a four patch alternating with white scraps for a long time. I need to finish so many before I start another new one though.

QuiltShopGal said...

This is going to be a beautiful quilt. I do love scrap quilts. And you have some pretty prints laid out very pleasing to the eye. total #creativegoodness.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.co

Maggie said...

I've been doing the same with my scraps...cutting them into ready to use squares. Your kaleidoscope blocks are fab and I can see the secondary pattern! X

Alison V. said...

These are adorable!

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...