Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Starry, Starry Night Quilt Completed

Quilt made for my friend's, daughter for graduation, in celebration of the Starry, Starry Night painting by Vincent Van Gogh, which she loves.

 Quilted with asterisk stars and swirls.
Center Lone Star
 
This quilt was started early in 2017 and finally finished a week ago in time to send for Christmas.  At the time I made some notes here on cutting instructions for future reference.


This is a graduation gift but it will be late.
I sorted through tons of quilt ideas with the Starry Starry Night painting in mind and found this sparkly free quilt pattern that I just adore!
This Blueberry Ice Quilt adapted from a quilt designed by Gerri Robinson is perfect except the colors need to be reversed.  If you click on the link, you can download your own instructions.

Since I'm doing my own adaptation, I'm including some cutting instructions for myself for future reference.
For each block you will need:
(8) 4 patches {each square is 2 1/2", but I strip sewed (2) 2 1/2 x a long strip together and then cut off 2 1/2" sections and sewed 2 of them together to get a 4 1/2" square 4 patch.}
(8) Sparkle rectangles
(4) 2 1/2" squares
(4) Star leg sections (sew 2 HSTs together -- see below for making the HSTs)
(1) Pinwheel block (made from 4 HST's)

HSTs for the pinwheel center of the star
Cut (2) 4 1/8" squares in the colors of your star.  Sew together around the perimeter and slice diagonally twice.  Press open and trim to 2 1/2" square.  Sew into a pinwheel for the star center.

HSTs for the star legs:  Cut (2) 4 1/8" squares (one the color of the star legs and one the background color).  Sew around the perimeter and then slice diagonally twice to yield 4 HSTs.  Do this twice since you need 8 HST's

For my no waste version of this sparkle rectangle, cut (8) 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" fabric and cut a 4 1/8" square and then cut that square diagonally twice.  Take a triangle and lay it as shown so that the bottom of the triangle is at the 2 1/2" mark on the ruler.  Remember these sparkle triangles have direction.



Stitch 1/4" seam along the diagonal then trim off the excess and fold back and press.
I decided to add a lone star block to the center and found a tutorial here. You make strip sets of 5 fabrics (1 1/2" wide) and then slice them at 45 degree angles and then sew them together.  She has you sew the background using a Y seam but I just decided to have a seam so cut the corner 5 1/2" squares in half diagonally once and for the centers I cut a 6 3/4" square diagonally twice.  When you sew each of the 4 corners together, you trim to 8" and then sew all together and you get a 15 1/2" square unfinished.
  Linked up with Connie Kresin's Linky Tuesday

2 comments:

Rosemary B❤️ said...

WOW
This quilt is beautiful. You put a lot of heart and soul into this creation and it is a masterpiece.
Well done.
Late is okay in my world. Artists need flexibility

felicity said...

This is incredibly beautiful! Congratulations on the finish and thanks for your generosity in sharing the how-tos.

Thanks for linking up to the FAL, on behalf of the global hosts.

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...