Friday, June 18, 2021

Patriotic Things

 I've been seeing so many ideas and beautiful talented bloggers making red, white and blue things and figured I'd start making these scrap busting 6 1/2" star blocks (unfinished) which could be used for all sorts of projects. 

I'll include some no waste cutting instructions below.



I got my triangle quilt loaded onto the quilting machine.  You can see a peak at the backing which is white stars on blue fleece.  I decided to forgo batting since it's a summer quilt.



I'm using this free pantograph, Starlets, that I saw on another blog (thank you) so am passing along the info.  Urban elementz has 43 free pantographs!


Here's the quilt top on the design wall I've shown before

And here is my scrap busting, no waste, star tutorial
6 1/2" unfinished saw tooth star block



Gather some scraps together



For each star background you will need:
(2) 3" squares cut diagonally once OR (1) 4 1/4" square cut diagonally twice
and
(4) 2" squares


For the STAR you will need:
(3) 3 1/2" squares OR (1) 3 1/2" square and (4) 2 1/2" squares
One of the 3 1/2" squares will be the center of the star and the star legs will be made of the 3 1/2" squares cut diagonally twice or the 2 1/2" squares cut diagonally once  Note:  you can see I cut the white 3 1/2" square diagonally twice but the 2 1/2" blue squares only once and they are the same size

Lay out your pieces and sew to form 4 flying geese


Trim your flying geese to 2 x 3 1/2"

Sew all pieces together and trim to 6 1/2"


11 comments:

chrisknits said...

I got that panto, but the one I loved better was this one!! https://www.urbanelementz.com/quilting-designs/pantographs-e2e/star-spangled-allover-free.html I used this one for a table runner I did. Love all your RWB projects!

Astrid said...

Your star blocks are so beautiful! Great way using up bits and pieces. Love your triangle quilt too.

Astrid said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. For some reason, it didn't show up in my emails.

Darlene S said...

I love your Patriotic Star Block quilt. Lovely fabrics, great placement of colors. Awesome. Total #CreativeGoodness

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nothing better than a red/white/blue quilt!! Thanks for sharing your method for making those stars, too.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your red, white & blue stars!!! I put together 20 patriotic star blocks yesterday, so I better hop to it, to get it done before the 4th!!!

Miss Alissa said...

What beautiful red, white and blue quilts!! I too see so many and want to join. I even bought a fat quarter set, just haven't decided in the best pattern!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

really pretty makes Sheri
I adore your new picture on the side too. Pretty, so sweet🌸🌸🥰
Thank you for sharing this, I have so many scraps
Happy week-end

Miaismine said...

What fun patriotic parojects! Those star blocks looke like fireworks! So pretty!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What fun stars - and a great tutorial!!
I like that triangle quilt - very pretty!

Muv said...

Hello Sheri,

You can't go wrong with red, white and blue, can you? It always looks so fresh and cheerful! The triangles quilt will look fantastic when it's finished.

Thank you for linking up with Free Motion Mavericks.
Love, Muv

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...