Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Gallantly Streaming Quilted Flag Table Runner with Flag Block Tutorial

I'm in love my new Gallantly Streaming Flag Runner



I later added more quilting since it was sort of puffy with just this many wavy lines and I wanted it to lay flat.

SCRAPPY FLAG BLOCK TUTORIAL
The unfinished flag block is 15 1/2 wide x 11 1/2" tall

Start by making a 6 1/2" unfinished sawtooth star

    FOR EACH STAR BLOCK, CUT:
Cut:
One square 4 1/4”(blue) 
Three squares 3 1/2” (white)
Four 2" squares (blue)  
Make two diagonal cuts in two of the 3 1/2" white squares and also the blue 4 1/4" square as shown. 

LAY OUT AS SHOWN


MAKE THE FLYING GEESE BY SEWING THE WHITE TRIANGLES ON AS LAID OUT
TRIM THE FLYING GEESE UNITS TO 3 1/2" x 2" as shown,  (I love this no waste method)


Sew the sections together

SEWING THE STRIPES
The shorter stripes are 9 1/2 x 1 1/2".  The longer stripes are 15 1/2" x 1 1/2". 
For each flag block, cut:
Three red 15 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
Two white 15 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
Three red 9 1/2 x 1 1/2" strips
Three white  9 1/2 x 1 1/2"strips

 Sew the short strip sets together as shown and then sew to the star block.  Sew the long strips together as shown and then sew to the star/stripe unit.  Trim to 15 1/2 x 11 1/2"

BORDERS AND SASHING
For my runner I added 1 1/2" x 11 1/2" sashing and side strips and the top and bottom borders are 2 1/4" by length of my runner.

DON'T FORGET YOUR LABEL 
I love to see my labels on the backs of my projects as I take them out for each holiday.  It's fun to see the date and remember back to the construction!

2 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Very pretty! I love making patriotic table runners.

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

A great table runner. Love the striped binding. Thanks for linking up with Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday.

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...