Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Christmas Corner February 2015

Welcome to Christmas Corner!  I've made a mini pillow with a pocket to hold a secret surprise.
This is the Secret Santa Pocket Pillow

The back pocket that can hold a a sweet note or a small treasure (or a gift card).

The inspiration came from this darling block pattern by Marcia Hahn on the Quilter's Cache here.  Marcia has 100's of wonderful free quilting patterns at the Quilter's Cache.
Marcia's block is 12 1/2".  You can visit the quilter's cache (see link above) to make Marcia's block or for my mini pillow, check out my cutting instructions and tutorial to make a 6 inch Secret Santa Pocket Pillow.
Also I'm trying something new.  I'm hosting my first link up party and hope you'll link up some of your favorite Christmas projects/gifts.  There are no rules.  You can link up current projects or from the past; finished or in process.  I would love to see your version of the Secret Santa Pocket Pillow!  Note the Link Up is at the end of the tutorial (wasn't sure how to put it here)
Tutorial for the Secret Santa Pocket Pillow
This is quick to make (less than an hour once you gather your supplies).  All seams 1/4".



Step 1.  Cut fabric into the following dimensions:


Step 2.  Fold the red triangle and white brim in half as shown to form a light crease.

 Step 3.  Pin, Sew, Press as shown in the following pictures.  Note: When sewing the brim and hat right sides together, match the creases which were made when folded.






Once you've sewn the block, it's time to make the eyes, nose, mouth, and mustache (felt worked well and I used googly eyes).

I used an applique stitch for the felt pieces and glued on the eyes after it was all sewn.  For the back and pocket cut a piece 5" x 6 1/2" and 6 1/2" square.  You can trim your Santa face block to 6 1/2" now.
 Prepare the pocket by pressing 1/2" down twice and hemming and then sewing to the back piece along the sides and bottom edges.

Sew the right sides together, leaving an opening for turning.

Turn out the right sides and press and then fill with batting to desired fullness.

Stitched closed as neatly and invisibly as you can.
 You can buy a pom pom for the hat or make your own.



When I was putting on my make up this morning, I put some blush on Santa's cheeks too (see first picture on top)



Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed this tutorial for the Secret Santa Pocket Pillow!

Linking up with Free Motion by the River, My Quilt Infatuation

4 comments:

Kate said...

Such a cute idea ... thanks for sharing! :)

Brandy said...

Oh my gracious, adorable! Thank you for the inspiration, when I'm off work I will definitely make something to link up!
~Brandy
brandizzle7133 at gmail dot com

legato1958 said...

This Santa is super cute! This is a project I will be making for the next Christmas! I love his little pompom!
Thanks for the tutorial!!
Susie

Elaine said...

THat is sooo cute! WHo doesn't love Santa?!

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...