Monday, January 13, 2014

Patchwork Scottie Dog Pillow and tutorial Updated

Little Scottie Dog (I think it's a scottie?)

Here he is sitting on the quilt top which is ready to quilt.
This is a tutorial for the stuffed dog but I've also included the measurements in case you want to make the block.  

 
You start with 2 inch strips.  This is the same as if you are sewing a quilt block, except no background.  Sew 2 strips together and cut into 2 x 3 1/2" sections and then sew 2 of those together to get 3 1/2" 4 patches.  You'll need 4 triangles for the tail and ears.  Sew into the configuration shown here and in the next photos.
UPDATE:  I'm sewing another one (quilt and stuffie) and thought I'd go ahead and label the pieces with the measurements and I've also added the white pieces (with measurements) in case you want to make the block.

The ear and the tail are 2 3/8" squares cut in half.

Make two and don't forget to make them mirror images.

This is a long strip of 2 inch squares which will join the two sides.  I thought I'd need 27, but ended up needing 30.

I pinned each half to a scrap of batting and sewed "x's" through each little block by machine

I also lined up batting under the strip and quilted "x's" through each square

Sew the strip to one side and leave an opening which will be used for turning right side out and adding stuffing.  I was disappointed that the squares on the strip didn't line up all the way around with the body, but it's still cute.

Next sew the other side to the strip with right sides together.  This was a little tricky.  I pinned it and also did some basting at the feet, neck, face and ears.  You have to be careful that the strip isn't sewed on askew so be very careful and patient.

Ready for stuffing!

Since it took a couple of days to make this little toy, I figure it's worth at least $100!
I linked this post up at Sew Many Ways and Stitch by Stitch:  Anything Goes Monday

4 comments:

Kay said...

This is adorable. Thanks for the tutorial. xx

Maggie said...

Gorgeous quilt and so cute Scottie. Thanks so much for the clear tutorial. I have tried making one of these before but it went all wonky! I will have a go at yours when I get a chance. Cheers. Maggie xx

Joanna said...

I love that little guy. It's nice to see the process. You did a great job of making both the quilt and stuffie.

legato1958 said...

What a cute little Scottie Dog pillow! Thanks for the tutorial! He looks so pretty with your beautiful quilt.

Susie

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...