Saturday, August 7, 2021

Scrappy Halloween Fun and Mini Candy Corn Block Tutorial

I wanted to make something scrappy with on hand Halloween fabrics

I took some charm squares and cut out some 5" squares and added colorful strips (2 1/2 x 5"; 2 1/2 x 7" (two of them); and 2 1/2 x 9") around them to make 9" blocks.

 
Then I made black sashing strips:  2 1/2" x 9" and 2 1/2 x 11" and a 2 1/2" orange corner stone



I think it will be cute to use mini candy blocks in the border.


Here are some cutting instructions to make a mini Candy Corn block 3 1/2 x 4"
To make the candy corn blocks, sew 1 1/4" strips together as shown.  Then lay the 60 degree line on your ruler onto the bottom edge and cut along the other edge as shown.


To make the sides for the candy corn, cut a rectangle 3 3/4" x 2 5/8".  Again line up the 60 degree line on the ruler as shown and then cut diagonally.  Then you must cut another pair with the wrong side up.



Sew on the sides


Sew on the bottom strip which is 1 3/4" x 3 1/2".  


Trim up the block to be 3 1/2 x 4"

Be back later with tutorials for the other mini candy blocks.

Linking up with Alycia Quilts; Confessions of a Fabric Addict; and Wendy's Quilts and More

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing your Halloween quilts and blocks. I need to pull out Halloween blipocks I’ve been putting off working with for years. Maybe this is the year to do something with them. Your quilt is very clever and must help to use your “frightful” fabric.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a fun Halloween Quilt!!! and the candy corn - too cool!

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...