Sunday, August 15, 2021

Sewing Room Decorating for Fall and Salt Water Taffy Candy tutorial

Autumn is just around the corner.  Well, not really but decorating helps to get in the mood for some Autumn sewing and get a head start on things.
I hosted my sewing group for the 3rd time and while tidying up, I decided to add some Fall decor for fun.


I need to get a stick big enough to display my Bats in the Pumpkin Patch or actually it's a topper, but I was thinking of doing another one with all the pumpkins on the lower part for a wall hanging.  I could add a black cat too!

I got all 25 blocks sewn together and displayed on the design wall along with some candy blocks.  Trying to decide how I want the border. Maybe some piano keys alternating with some candy blocks as one of my sewing friends suggested.

Here is a Four inch (unfinished) Salt Water Taffy Tutorial  (my daughter pointed out I should make some with white twisty ends and pastel centers, so I will)

Cutting instructions 
(1 each) 2 1/2 inch colored and background to make the half square triangle twisties
2 inch square for the center
Background:  (2) 1 1/2 x 2" rectangles
(2) 1 1/2 x 3" rectangles
(1) 1 1/2" square cut diagonally

To Round the Taffy Center
Lay the background triangles (1 1/2" square cut diagonally to make two triangles) as shown on the right and stitch with a 1/4" seam then press out.  The picture on the left isn't very good but trim to 2"

To Make the Twisty Ends
Place the 2 1/2" squares together (one background and one color) right sides together and stitch around the edge, then cut diagonally twice, which will make (4) 1 1/2" half square triangles.  I pressed the one in the top right corner open and trimmed it. Use two of them for the twisties.

Lay out your pieces as shown.



Sew the half square triangles to the 1 1/2 x 3" rectangles as shown and sew the 1 1/2 x 2" rectangles to the taffy center as shown.  Then sew the 3 pieces together and trim to 4" square


Here is one I forgot to round the center and so the center ended up square.  It's sort of cute, but I'm going to fix it.







1 comment:

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

I am quite ready for autumn too. Your decors are beautiful. Absolutely perfect for the season.

-Soma

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...