Friday, April 22, 2022

Basket Fun

It was fun designing and creating this runner!

Pastel block border makes this basket just right for a Easter pillow








These baskets are pieced with some appliqued eggs inside



I made some cutting instructions in case you'd like to make one too.  Make the basket piece and then the handle piece and sew together as shown.
Note:  For the basket side background pieces, I cut a 2" square and cut it in half diagonally and used that piece as a template to cut away the section onto which you will sew the basket base pieces.  Once you sew the base pieces to the background side pieces you can then sew those triangles onto the basket as shown.  That piece will be 12 1/2 x 6 1/2" or it might be 12 3/4 x 6 3/4" (I'm measuring mine after quilting and I think that is why it is smaller)

It's a little hard to explain how I did the handle so will just show you some pictures and you should do a trial run with scrap fabric (or maybe a couple trial runs).  Or you could applique one on if you like.
I used the biggest pot lid I had (12" diameter) for a template for the handle.  Cut a rectangle 6 1/2 x 12 3/4" of background fabric.  Mark and cut the curve into the background fabric as shown.  For the outside of the handle, mark and cut with the same curve but make it 1/2" longer on each side.


For the inside curve of the handle, I used this 9" diameter plate.  Cut the basket handle 1 3/4" thick.  For the background fabric inside the handle use the same 9" plate curve and remember to add 1/2" on each side.  (See the first cutting photo to see that piece)


If you want to try this and need more explanation, let me know and I'll try and help out.

I've been thoroughly enjoying this simple pastel bunny topper

I loved fussy cutting some bunnies interspersed with pastel blocks and quilted with swirls and bunny heads.  The blocks are 3 1/2" unfinished.


This lucky runner already got some binding lol.  Hopefully all the others will next year.



Hope you had a lovely Easter


1 comment:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So cute - and perfect for your Easter decorations!! thanks for sharing the tutorial!

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...