Saturday, April 8, 2023

Hoppy Easter

Bunnies have been multiplying around here.

I made this cute mini for my friend Donna.

Using the paint program on the computer, I made a couple designs.  I drew the squares so I could just measure the boxes, add a seam allowance and then could also measure for the pieces to snowball the corners to create the shapes.


But for this bunny with up ears, I decided to just do applique and when I cut him out, I rounded the corners and added about 1/4 inch for seam allowance.  He comes out to be about 11" unfinished.  I have an oval frame so used it for a template.  I made few extras to share.


I used the applique method where you sew your bunny to a piece of interfacing with right sides together and sew all the way around and then just make a cut in the interfacing to pull the right side out.  (Note if you you fusible interfacing, do not iron until you're ready to place on your background.)  Then, my friend, Trish, showed me how to stitch it to the background, using an invisible stitch.  If the interfacing is showing, you roll it under before stitching down.  I'm terrible at hand sewing but after doing a few of these, I got better at it.  
For this one, the rectangle is 8 1/2 x 11" (actually cut it a little bigger and then trim to that size after appliquing).  The little squares are 2 1/2", so I did scant seams on the 5 side squares so they would fit. 



  For this one I did the oval background onto a 19" square, since I planned to make a pillow cover.  I didn't do the interfacing method around the oval, but just did a small zig zag stitch.  You can also see how I started doing some free motion quilting with feathery shapes and then just echoed and echoed all the way out.


Bunnies are not really in the Easter Story, but I figure there may have been one around on that Easter morning.


If you like the basket pillow, I have a tutorial here.

This pillow cover fits the Charm Square Pillow that I made using a tutorial from the Missouri Star Quilt Company.  You can see the link in the photo below.  It's nice to have different pillow covers and then you don't have to store a bunch of pillows for different holidays.






No comments:

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...