Monday, February 19, 2024

Happy Belated Valentines Day


I made this topper for my friend Donna.  I'll show some cutting instructions too


Three rows of the nestled hearts made it about 54" square


I made one for me also, but just one row to fit this desk area.  It is about 18 1/2 x 60"

Quilted with an E2E design from My Creative stitches, called Beloved

Some cutting instructions
Each half heart will be 12 1/2 x 6 1/2"  To angle the top corners, make 2 1/2" squares and sew diagonally and trim leaving 1/4 inch seam.  For the bottom, cut a 6 1/2 in square and sew diagonally and then trim leaving the 1/4" seam again, to make the bottom point.  After I did that and before pressing the corners up, I cut templates which saves a lot of fabric.



Another way to create the template is to use this Easy Angle ruler if you have one, which builds in the 1/4" seam allowance.  You can also use it on the top corners.


Showing how it looks laying along side where it will be sewn


Here you can see how to line up the corners.  Note, you can also make this size without the Easy Angle, by just cutting a 2 7/8" square and cutting it in half diagonally.  This saves fabric, instead of using a 2 1/2" square to snowball the corner and wasting the other side.

If you want to cut them out quicker, you can cut a 4 inch square in half diagonally, twice.  I love saving time and fabric.

I like to use that easy angle to cut off the dog ears ahead of time, which helps line it up correctly when you sew it on.


Lay out your heart shapes to your satisfaction


To make the units, you will lay the bottoms together as show here and sew your 1/4" seam.   Note:  do your snowballing of the top corners first.  After sewing, the unit will be 6 1/2 x 18 1/2"



You can see the middle is sewn together into a unit


Then start sewing the units together.



Quilt as Desired

Getting the binding prepared

No comments:

X O X O

I've already packed up nearly all the Valentine's decor so wanted to finally get all my Valentine posts completed.  I wanted a small...