Friday, July 26, 2024

Back to working on this Rainbow Nine Patch UFO

I started this project back in 2015 when I saw that my friend, Nancy, who taught me to quilt, had made one.  Hers were made with 1 1/2" strips so the squares finished at 1" but I'm using 2" strips so mine finish at 1 1/2".  This makes a 5" unfinished 9 patch and then I'm alternating with a 5 inch black square.
Although I had not packed up all the fabrics that I'd started making these blocks with, luckily I still had enough of most of them on hand to finish making the blocks (I hope).  In this picture I have the blocks laid out on the floor of my old house, on the back of a quilt, which left me very little room to walk around.

When I pulled them out recently, I put the ones I had made onto my design wall which is so much easier to maneuver around.



I just love the colors, almost better, in more of a monochromatic configuration than rainbow

But the rainbow is super pretty too

My design wall is about 72" square, which really isn't quite big enough for this so I'm pinning and taping some of the squares onto the wall

In this one I added the rest of the coral and then some orangy and the last orangy/yellow

I have a sunflower topper I started last year which would be nice to get finished for my pub table so we'll see how far I get on this, before I feel obligated to take out the sunflower project.  There's just not enough time in each season or I'm a very slow sewer

 

1 comment:

Chase Klop said...

That is stunning! Makes me want to start one too!

Back to working on this Rainbow Nine Patch UFO

I started this project back in 2015 when I saw that my friend, Nancy, who taught me to quilt, had made one.  Hers were made with 1 1/2"...